Contact Orders Should be Enforced

At the end of May, the former president of the family division called on family courts within the UK to enforce contact orders between children and their non-resident parent, whilst urging harsher penalties on parents who wilfully prevent relationships between children and their non-resident parent.

Following a marriage or relationship breakdown the Courts can be asked to make an Order specifying with whom the children are to live; resulting in the other parent, often fathers, having to rely on contact orders which enable them to see their offspring.

However, there are concerns that in some cases resident parents are wilfully preventing the non-resident parent and child from building a meaningful relationship; and speaking in a recent interview, the former president of the family division suggested that courts should take a harder view of such parents.

Within her interview, the former president called for a greater emphasis to be placed on the obligations of the resident parent to follow court orders – adding that if a parent wilfully fails to oblige with the court orders, they should be forced to carry out community service – as long as it does not impede on their child care.

According to the former president, requiring such parents to conduct community service will make them more aware of the consequences of ignoring such orders.

The comments come after it was recently announced that separated parents who fail to amicably agree on child maintenance payments will incur a penalty fine.

As family law solicitors in Lincoln, we understand and appreciate that agreeing contact orders can seem stressful and emotional, which is why we are on hand to assist.

Our family law solicitors are experienced in helping couples come to an amicable agreement in relation to all child contact and maintenance issues following the breakdown of a relationship; guiding our clients through the legal process whilst ensuring the best possible outcome for the parents and children involved.

To find out how we can assist you in such situations, contact our family law team today.