The referendum vote to leave the EU has been likened to a divorce and in many ways it is.
In the latest episode of our divorce and separation podcast Lincoln based divorce lawyers Neil Denny and Faye Genders come up with ten reasons why Brexit is like a divorce.
You can listen to the show below or keep reading for the 10 reasons.
10 reasons why Brexit really is like many divorces
- Only one half wants the divorce
- The same grieving process of denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance might be taking place right now
- Angela Merkel has transformed into Gloria Gaynor singing “I Will Survive” – the greatest divorce anthem “Go on now go, walk out the day, just turn around now, you’re not welcome anymore…”
- Different attitudes to risk and uncertainty on the part of the leaver and leavee
- Suddenly everyone is worrying about divorce contagion – “If they got divorced/left the EU, perhaps we should as well…”
- Fault based divorces – the many reasons given for leaving the EU, even though a no fault divorce was available according to article 50
- Have a plan for what you are going to do before you tell them you are leaving.
- The importance of skilled negotiators who can influence and persuade and get a settlement quickly and effectively
- The need to moderate language and behaviour; rash words and actions can lead to increased conflict and having to backtrack after the event
- Finally, remember, that after this is all done, we still have to be able to work together whether to co-parent our children or to be able to trade with one another.
You can now subscribe to the Divorce and Separation Podcast on iTunes or on Stitcher.com Never miss an episode and have the podcast available to download to your phone or tablet to listen to at your convenience.
If you have any questions about divorce or separation then get proper advice. You can contact Diane Genders specialist divorce lawyers in Lincoln on 01522 516500 or email us by CLICKING HERE